Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Topshot - Holy Drama Batman!

Who needs soaps, when we can get all the drama we could possibly want on Top Shot.

I didn't do a commentary last week because last week's show was just sort of.......  there.

This week, however, things heated up between Mike and Jake.  In fact, Mike showed great restraint by not kicking the crap out of Jake.  Of course, as stated by Jake, that was his (Jake's) plan all along.

You see, that sawed off little jackass wants to only go up against the weakest shooters AND if he can antagonize them into throwing a punch at him to get them kicked off of Top Shot, all the better.  Simply put, the man is not only a royal asshole, but he's the worse kind of asshole.  He's decietful and cowardly.

I find it very hard to believe that this guy was really a Navy Seal.  He may have gone through the training, but whether or not he made the cut is another story.  He shows a lack of ethics, a lack of ability to work with a team and quite frankly, he's an ass and he would be dangerous to have around in the field IMO.

In my life, I've known a couple of special forces guys and quite a few heroes, while not special forces, who have served our country, and none of them were like this guy.  I almost have to wonder if some of this turmoil and drama that plays out behind the scenes is a result of those involved being solicited by Top Shot to play up the drama for what they think might be a better show.

I don't know, but I hope that this is not the case.  If it is, then I would rather find another show to watch.  If I want drama and assholes, I'll watch re-runs of Knots Landing or Dallas. 

So last night's competition was good.  They used a weapon that has been around since before the common era, or before Christ (however you want to look at it).  They used the recurve bow.  Learning to shoot a recurve bow accurately is not a task for the impatient.  There are no sights on this thing and you have to basically go with your instinct, kind of like throwing a football or, in my case, a dart.

With its beautiful lines and its smooth, soft and well defined curves, this weapon is just plain sexy.  Of course archery is fascinating to me because of the incredible strength and skill that it takes to be really good at it.

The challenge last night was pretty difficult and the red team, while they did well, had a couple of mishaps which ended up in a loss.  Cliff, not hiting a single target and Chris (I think that's his name) went to the elimination round where Cliff lost.

Now, we are down to the final 7 and it's every man for himself.  I hope that Jake gets sent home soon, though what I really want to know is why Top Shot will allow a dickweed like Jake to remain on the show if he's constantly picking fights and then when he's on camera alone admitting that he's doing it on purpose, why they let him stay?  It's just wrong and if Top Shot doesn't do something about these types of situations, I think that they will lose their audience.

If there's one thing about men that I know, it's that by and large they want to watch a good competition, not a bunch of drama and back-biting.  If they wanted that, they would watch daytime soaps.


7 comments:

  1. Like I've said before: Jake may be First Shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost the video feed about 4 minutes into the show last night. I could hear it, just couldn't see it - and from what I heard...ugly, ugly, ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell, I'm not great of a shooter, but I think I will apply for season 4! Less drama llama and more shooting would be my mantra! Let the firing line speak!

    Oh, I know I would not get far but what a glorious time it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Belle,

    I'll offer a different take.

    hough what I really want to know is why Top Shot will allow a dickweed like Jake to remain on the show if he's constantly picking fights and then when he's on camera alone admitting that he's doing it on purpose, why they let him stay?

    I would not be surprised if they didn't tacitly -- if not actively-- encourage his behavior.

    It can be done easily by continuing to focus on the drama, by giving stage directions to the contestants, etc.

    It's just wrong and if Top Shot doesn't do something about these types of situations, I think that they will lose their audience.

    I have to wonder how their primary audience is or who they are trying to get to the primary audience.

    It sure isn't the hard core "shooting is the only thing that matter" crowd because they don't have enough shooting for those folks.

    I think they are going for the Survivor/Big Brother crowd.

    And frankly I think that is a great thing.

    Look at the drama between Mike and Jake last night. We have a 'villain' who openly admits he tried to provoke a physical fight.

    In many reality shows, I'm sure he would have succeeded.

    Yet --- lo and behold what happens?
    Certainly not what the antis, the "Blood in the streets, shoot outs over parking spaces, classroom discussions will be stifled" crowd would lead us to think.

    Mike controlled himself.

    That is a great thing for people to see. It puts a real face on gun owners and anger.

    Certainly each time people see something like that it will be harder for the antis to trot out their meme of gun owners are blood thirsty, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Bob S.- I would guarantee you that there are NO Firearms in the "shoot house". I can see some of your points however. Yes, a gun owner did not lose their temper, but no guns in reality to be found there.

    I understand that the show is first and foremost about entertainment. That is why I will probably not make the first casting call.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keads,

    It really doesn't matter if there were guns in the house or not.

    Seriously, everyone recognizes it was not a situation for firearms -- Jake wanted a fist fight with Mike throwing the first punch.

    We need people to look at gunnies and say "Man, I would have lost my temper in that situation."

    It isn't the guns we need, it is the identification. The feeling that gunnies are just like them, their parents, their brothers or sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob S.- I see what you mean. I believe we as gunnies are held to a higher standard. Insult the wife, cut me off in traffic, etc.? No big deal. I have heard a bunch of times: "If I did not have a gun on me I would have punched his lights out".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are not moderated. Disagreement is fine as long as you address the message, not the messenger. In other words, don't be an ass.